Colleagues who are struggling with their finances might be interested to know more about the kinds of financial support available to them as both a member of the NHS and #TeamGateshead.

Below more can be seen about the support offerings available to you to help you get your finances into check. Please use services responsibly.


Healthcare Workers Foundation

The Healthcare Workers' Foundation

A charity founded by NHS workers, for NHS workers, the Healthcare Workers’ Foundation exists to support the wellbeing of colleagues and can help provide crisis support.

Amongst the support offerings provided include grants and financial assistance, PPE, meals and food, childcare, counselling therapy and transport.

RCN Foundation logo concepts_v2

Hardship Grants for Nurses and Midwifes

If you’re an NMC registered nurse or midwife; or a healthcare support worker, nursing associate or nursing apprentice who has practised in a role for more than 3+ years under the supervision of registered nurses, you might be eligible to access a hardship grant from the RCN Foundation Benevolent Service.

Grants can be offered no more than once per calendar year, and are a gift so you won’t be asked to pay it back. You do not need to be a member of the Royal College of Nursing to apply to the RCN Foundation.

For full eligibility criteria, to learn more about the grants or to complete a hardship grant application form, please visit their site on the button below.

royal medical benevolent fund

Royal Medical Benevolent Fund

The Royal Medical Benevolent Fund provides financial support, money advice and information for doctors, medical students and their families – and can be of particular help to those who need help due to age, ill health, disability and bereavement.

Amongst the support available for medical students includes financial help, a medical student advice hub, online wellbeing resources and further signposting. Junior doctors expecting a baby can also access targeted support, while the site also promotes a range of bursaries and grants.

Doctors can also access financial help, as well as confidential psychotherapy, a doctor advice hub, wellbeing resources and signposting, while targeted support is also available for refugee doctors.

Cavell Nurses Trust logo

Cavell Nurses' Trust

Cavell Nurse’s Trust offer current, former and retired registered nurses, nursing associates and midwifes; maternity support workers, healthcare assistants/nursing auxilaries from a hospital, nursing home or community setting the opportunity to apply for a grant.

To be eligible, you must live in the UK and be in financial hardship with less than £4000 in household savings – including money in savings and current accounts.

The Nurse’s Trust can help with matters including short-term financial emergencies, the purchase of essential white goods, travel expenses for attending medical treatments, mobility aids, home adaptations due to disability, rent deposits and removal costs, bankruptcy and Debt Relief Order fees and in some circumstances, rent arrears.

For more information or to apply for a grant, click below.

Unison Logo


Members of the Unison staff union who are experiencing financial difficulties might be able to access ‘There for You’, a programme which offers support including one-off grants.

There for You helps families with things such as general living costs, the purchase of household appliances, urgent repairs, disability equipment and adaptations, utility bills and funeral costs.

To be eligible to apply for assistance, you must have been a member for at least four weeks and be up-to-date with your subscription. Financial difficulties must have occured after your join date. To apply or learn more about this assistance, click below.

Greggs Foundation Logo

Greggs Hardship Foundation Grant

Greggs Foundation provides grants for people in need who live in the North East to purchase items such as a cooker, washing machine, flooring and bedding. Priority is given to families and the most financially excluded people.

To access this support, which provides grants of up to £150, you will need to do so through a charity. We reccomend those interested in accessing this support make use of our priority partnership with Citizens Advice Gateshead, who can submit an application on your behalf. Simply get in touch with Citizens Advice Gateshead.

Turn2Us Logo


Turn2Us are a national charity fighting UK poverty, helping those in financial need to gain access to welfare benefits, charitable grants and other financial help through their partner organisations.

Amongst the support tools offered by Turn2Us is their grant finding service, which uses your location, age and gender to identify grants you may be eligble to access.

To use the grant finding service, simply click below and enter your details.

Loans, advice and more:

NHS support for colleagues

Did you know the NHS has a dedicated support line for free and impartial money advice? Open between 08:00am - 6:00pm, Monday to Friday, you can get in touch on 0800 448 0826.

Salary Finance logo

Salary Finance

Salary Finance are a chosen partner of Gateshead Health, and help colleagues to get their finances in order through their dedicated financial wellbeing hub. The hub is home to info on paying off debts, services to help you build savings, loans at reasonable rates and information to help you understand your money better.

As part of the partnership with Salary Finance, Gateshead Health colleagues can also access salary advances based on their accrued salary that month. Unfortunately, this offering is not currently available to our QE Facilities team.

We advise these colleagues to contact Citizens Advice Gateshead or the Money Advice Service before using such services.

nefirst Credit Union

nefirst Credit Union

We are also partnered with nefirst Credit Union. The organisation help staff to access straightforward and secure savings accounts – including the unique ability to have savings directly taken from your salary.

Low-cost loans are also available, and free life insurance is included as standard on nefirst Credit Union services.

Please consider contacting the MoneyHelper or Citizens Advice Gateshead before using these services.



MoneyHelper, previously known as the Money Advice Service, can offer you free and impartial advice backed by the government.

Amongst the services and advice offered by the organisation includes benefits, family and care, money troubles, savings, homes, pensions and recruitment, work and everyday money.

As well as through their website, you can also access support via WhatsApp – just drop a message to their support team on +44 7701 342 744, or use their Online Portal.

Debt illustration

Debt support

Our debt page also offers further information on support available from organisations including Citizens Advice Gateshead, StepChange and National Debtline.