As you may know by now, ongoing strikes from local operator Go North East are impacting many colleagues’ travel routines when it comes to getting to work. This item serves to highlight options which might be available to colleagues to continue travelling to work at a reasonable cost.
Locally, a limited number of bus services are still in operation through other transport providers which stop by the Queen Elizabeth Hospital. These can be seen below – simply click the link to access a full timetable for each service.
Gateshead Central Taxis:
- 67 (MetroCentre to Wardley) – Suitable for both QE Hospital and Bensham Hospital staff
- 69 (Winlaton to Wardley) – Suitable for both QE Hospital and Bensham Hospital staff
- 515 (Sheriff Hill to Hebburn/Heworth) – Suitable for QE Hospital Staff
- 929 (Team Valley to Jarrow) – Suitable for QE Hospital Staff
- TB29 (Gateshead Interchange to Bensham) – Suitable for Bensham Hospital staff
Additionally, Arriva run a service which stops on Durham Road (Low Fell), which is around a 20-minute walk from the QE Hospital.
Metro services are still in operation and today revealed that an agreement had been made to avoid planned strikes. The cost of Metro services is dependent on the number of zones you are travelling through on your journey. You can view what stations belong to which zone via the Metro map here.
- One Zone – £2.60 per journey or £4.10 for a Day Ticket
- Two Zones – £3.60 per journey or £5.20 for a Day Ticket
- All Zones – £4.30 per journey or £6.20 for a Day Ticket
The nearest station to the QE Hospital is Felling, which is approximately 30-minute walk away. To view directions for this walk, click here. The nearest station to Bensham Hospital is Gateshead, and is also approximately 30 minute walk away – directions for which can be found here.
Washington Taxis are operating set fares throughout Monday to Friday for certain routes including from Washington to QE Hospital for £9.50 (between Monday – Thursday, 6am – 7pm and Friday 6am – 6pm). Taxis can be booked via their website or on 0191 415 1441.
The health and wellbeing team has received various queries about further support from the organisation and has raised this prospect with the relevant teams. Colleagues seeking financial support are advised to consider downloading our Financial Wellbeing Guide, but more specifically to also consider looking at our financial support webpage and consider having a chat with Citizens Advice Gateshead who may be useful in helping you access additional income.